Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Toomer

It was poetic and had a folksy tone with use of fragments. It was almost like gossip. There is repetition like “oh pines, whisper to Jesus.” Alliteration like “Even the pineS were Stale, sickly, like the Smell of food that makes you Sick.” It had literal poems wrapped into the prose. Even the dialogue kept this poetic/folksy feel. The last excerpt took a surreal turn mentions of “passionate blood leaps back into their eyeballs.” Come to think of it, all of the writing had a dream-like quality, something about the Becky story struck me as a quite dream world. Perhaps it was all the mentions of death and graveyards. For some reason I thought the writing sounded very feminine. I was surprised when I found out the author was a male. Perhaps starting off reading the Becky story, which talks about motherhood, threw me off. but learning of his mixed heritage made that story make more sense as to why it sounded so detached yet personal. Whatever the case I took his style to be romantic, dreamy and conversational.

No comments:

Post a Comment