Sunday, November 22, 2009

Douglas

Very cleanly conveyed thoughts, there were no multiple thoughts squeezed into run on sentences. The style was neither overtly flowery nor ignorant. It was a style similar to Hemingway, but slightly more detailed and a tad more advanced in his word usage. The frustrations of the author were successfully communicated, though he never came right out and said "I felt angry and frustrated." Neither one of those words were ever used. Instead he says,"[...] I was led to abhor and detest enslavers. I could regard them in no other light than a band of successful robbers [...]" Words like "detest" and "could regard" are far more controlled and calculating, giving off the feeling of irritation rather than rage.. It was an extremely disturbing read how he couldn't trust anyone and how he felt once he knew that slavery was unjust. His method of showing rather than telling, and all of his "I" uses are probably what made the piece so mentally accessible. His soul was in "unutterable anguish," this is the closest he could say to what he was feeling because there are no words strong enough for the repressing feeling of slavery. His patience and determination inspired me. It also made me grateful for my easily attained education, his story goes to show that ignorance is slavery.

No comments:

Post a Comment